- This event has passed.
Science and Spirit – SVVC Fall 2018 ConcertDate:
November 17, 2018
Unitarian Universalist Church
695 Elmwood Ave
Buffalo, NY 14222 United States
*Note: CFI WNY is not hosting this event, we are promoting it as something potentially interesting for members. Tickets are available online for $10 from brown paper tickets. https://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/3623948?fbclid=IwAR1UHed1SvUEGsqYBSGnhb8D62a2qMZnQHz92A7JtrfERfgJfu_HOEDVo18
Sotto Voce Vocal Collective is a performing vocal ensemble that aims to promote awareness of both the capabilities of the human voice and the diversity of composers living today.
This Fall, Sotto Voce presents “Science and Spirit,” a program that grapples with questions about the nature of existence.
– Janet Oates – Atomic Choruses (2014, rev. 2017)
– Gabrielle Cerberville – Phases (2016)
– Elizabeth Baker – @quantumloop_#love (2018 – WORLD PREMIER)*
– Amanda Feery – Squarpushers (2012)
– Gabrielle Cerberville – Particle (for solo piano, 2018)*
– Eva Maria Houben – Psalm 117 (2008 – WORLD PREMIER)
– Igor Coehlo Arantes Santana Marques – Ave Virgo (2018 – WORLD PREMIER)
– Elizabeth A. Baker – firstname.lastname@example.org (for toy piano + piano, 2018)
– Gabrielle Cerberville – Ubi Caritas (2014)
Through recourse to ideas from science, religion, and spaces in between, our featured composers have created sonic statements that reflect their own experiences of the world. The musical selections for the show feature melodies, rhythms, and textures inspired by electronic music, and will be accompanied by physical choreography and projections that help elucidate the composers’ intentions. We are also thrilled that the dynamic New Renaissance Artist, Elizabeth A. Baker – whom we commissioned for this event – will also be visiting Buffalo from Florida for the premier of her new work “@quantumloop_#love,” and will be performing on both her own work (with electronics) and in two solo performances – one of a graphic scores by Gabrielle Cerberville (on piano) and the other a work-in-progress written for herself to play (piano and electronics). Buffalo-based composer Igor Coehlo Arantes Santana Marques will also be present to perform on piano in the concert’s finale, and to premier his own new work, the incredibly challenging but stunning like-voice quartet “Ave Virgo.”